Re: [squid-users] Squid Future (was Re: [squid-users] Squid-2, Squid-3, roadmap)

From: Chris Woodfield <rekoil@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 11:49:07 -0400

For our purposes (reverse proxy usage) we don't see any missing
features from squid 3 that we would need - however, we'd like to see
the code base mature some more before we trust it in production. Same
reason that smart folks don't deploy new Cisco IOS trains until it
hits the 3rd or 4th rebuild.

However, I will use this opportunity to put forth my own wishlist of
missing features (that AFAIK aren't even present in squid 3.0 at this
time - if they are please let me know!:

- Multithreading, multithreading, multithreading!

- Better handling of cache_dir failures:
What I mean here is, if you have multiple cache_dirs configured
(presumably on separate disks) squid should not refuse to start if one
is unavailable. It should scream loudly, yes, but should be able to
carry on with the ones it can use. For bonus points, make squid
capable of "dropping" a cache_dir that becomes unavailable during
runtime.

- Fix mem_cache bottleneck that effectively prohibits large files from
being stored in squid's memory.

http://www.mail-archive.com/squid-users@squid-cache.org/msg52509.html

- Allow helper children (url_rewriters, etc) to send some sort of
"pause" message back to squid to signal that that child is temporarily
unavailable for new queries, and then a "ready" message when it's
available again.
(yes, this is kinda obscure - the issue here is a single-threaded
rewriter helper app that occasionally has to re-read its rules
database, and can't answer queries while it's doing so)

- A better mechanism (B-tree maybe?) for storing cache contents such
that cached object URIs can be quickly searched via path or regex for
reporting/purging purposes.

- Oh, and I want a pony.

Thanks,

-C