[squid-users] Squid Future (was Re: [squid-users] Squid-2, Squid-3, roadmap)

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 10:18:07 +0900

Just to summarise the discussion, both public and private.

* Squid-3 is receiving the bulk of the active core Squid developers' focus;
* Squid-2 won't be actively developed at the moment by anyone outside
  of paid commercial work;
* I've been asked (and agreed at the moment) to not push any big changes to
  Squid-2.

If your organisation relies on Squid-2 and you haven't any plans to migrate
to Squid-3, then there's a few options.

* Discuss migrating to Squid-3 with the Squid-3 developers, see what can be done.
* Discuss commercial Squid-2 support/development with someone (eg Xenion/me).
* Migrate away from Squid to something else.

Obviously all of us would prefer that users wouldn't migrate away from Squid in
general, so if the migration to Squid-3 isn't on your TODO list for whatever
reason then its in your best interests -right now- to discuss this out in the
open.

If you don't think that Squid as a project is heading in a direction that is useful
for you, then its in your best interests -right now- to discuss this with the
Squid development team rather than ignoring the issue or discussing it privately.
I'd prefer open discussions which everyone can view and contribute towards.

If there's enough interest in continuing the development of Squid-2 along
my Roadmap or any other plan then I'm interested in discussing this with you.
If the interest is enough to warrant beginning larger changes to Squid-2 to
support features such as IPv6, threading and improved general performance
then I may reconsider my agreement with the Squid-3 developers (and deal with
whatever pain that entails.)

At the end of the day, I'd rather see something that an increasing number of people
on the Internet will use and - I won't lie here - whatever creates a self sustaining
project, both from community and financial perspectives.

Adrian