Re: [squid-users] What exactly makes accelerator mode faster then transparent mode ?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 18:32:46 +1300

Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
> On 20.03.08 12:14, Amos Jeffries wrote:
>> proxy - software that sits between a web server and a web-client with
>> purpose of resource saving or improving web service to the clients.
>>
>> intercepting proxy - software that performs as a proxy, but additionally
>> can handle traffic redirected to it by a FW without the web-clients
>> knowledge. Usually typed 'transparent' by those who confuse
>> client-hidden with totally-invisible.
>>
>> transparent proxy - software that performs all duties of proxy and
>> additionally spoofs/hide its IP from both parties such that neither can
>> detect its existence.
>
> many people assume "transparent" proxy the same as "intercepting", maybe
> often with the meaning of "not explicitly configured proxy".

Many people are also assuming wrong. Confusing themselves when speaking
about it.
I was in that boat myself until I spent a while checking the
transparency operations of squid against the RFC.

> the HTTP defines "transparent" proxy as any proxy that does not modify the
> deta. Please, don't create new definition of transparecy in proxying.

Not altering the request and not being configured would be part of that
'neither can detect' I mentioned, yes?

Apologies for cut-n-pasting 'all duties', 'most duties' would be more
accurate.

Amos

--
Please use Squid 2.6STABLE17+ or 3.0STABLE1+