Re: [squid-users] What exactly makes accelerator mode faster then transparent mode ?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 23:12:43 +0100

On Fri, 2008-03-21 at 18:32 +1300, Amos Jeffries wrote:
> > the HTTP defines "transparent" proxy as any proxy that does not modify the
> > deta. Please, don't create new definition of transparecy in proxying.
>
> Not altering the request and not being configured would be part of that
> 'neither can detect' I mentioned, yes?

The HTTP meaning of transparent is purely semantically transparent, not
network transparent.

The industry have settled for not using the word transparent alone any
more, but instead "semantically transparent" for the HTTP meaning and
"transparent interception" for the more commonly used meaning of
"transparent".

The ability to spoof the proxied connection using the original client ip
would be "fully transparent interception" I guess. But it was not an
option when these terms was discussed some (several) years ago.