[squid-users] squid behind ziproxy ?

From: Michael Gale <michael.gale@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 10:44:57 -0600

Hey,

        We are currently using ziproxy (http://ziproxy.sourceforge.net/) in a
transparent setup to compress (Gzip) the data between the requesting
client and the end server. We also scale down requested images to
conserve bandwidth.

Now we would like to implement a squid proxy to make use of it's cache.
We are looking at a setup like the following:

Old setup:
Internet <--> ziproxy in transparent mode <--> slow link <--> client

New setup:
Internet <--> squid cache #1 <--> slow link <--> squid cache #2 <--> client

Squid cache #1 and squid cache #2 will have some form of cache hierarch
setup between them. So if we want to continue to use the ziproxy
software we will lose the Gzip compression benefits but will retain the
image scaling.

My question is, will having squid go through ziproxy have any affects on
the cache use ? Because the image(gif,jpeg,tif,..) on the server will
never match the copy received by squid cache #1. Since it would be
scaled / altered on it's way down ?

Thanks

--
Michael Gale