Re: [squid-users] Hardware setup ?

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 12:55:17 +0900

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008, Michael Gale wrote:
> Hey,
>
> We are working on our hardware requirements and am looking for some
> feedback. Please let me know what you think:
>
> Demand:
> - 225 requests per second during peak times in 2008. So we are plaining
> for 300 RPS minimal per server. Ideally if each server could handle 600
> RPS that would be good.

Not too bad on current hardware. Factor in about 80-100 req/sec per disk
for a normal forward-proxy load.

> - We have 1600 remote locations connected via sat link, each with about
> 4 devices behind it.

ok.

> - 125GB per month of HTTP traffic
>
> We currently are planing on two servers being available behind an LVS
> router. These two servers will speak with a squid instance at each
> location so some form of peering can be used.

ok. Just be careful how you distribute requests - you need to keep things
like constant source address in mind when doing stuff or some things
might subtly break.

> So I have the following questions:
>
> 1. Would there be any problem with squid running at each sat location
> (1600) trying to use a peering method with squidpeer.domain.com IP that
> is load balanced by an LVS router pointing to two squid servers ?
>
> 2. Does squid benefit from a dual core or quad core setup at all ?

Dual core, yes. Quad core, not so much.

> 3. How do these hardware requirements look, per server:
> - 4 drives for squid cache, hardware raid stripped
> - 4ms seek time, 73GB of space =~ 294GB of cache available

Don't raid them. Mirror, sure. Don't stripe or RAID5 them.

> - Looking to use at least 150GB of cache per server

ok.

> - 8GB of RAM

plenty.

> - Two dual core or two quad core 3.0Ghz processors.

Dual-core is enough. Squid can't take effective advantage of >1 CPU at the
moment and your OS will use the other thread for network/disk IO.

ADrian