[squid-users] Hardware setup ?

From: Michael Gale <michael.gale@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 11:11:48 -0600

Hey,

        We are working on our hardware requirements and am looking for some
feedback. Please let me know what you think:

Demand:
- 225 requests per second during peak times in 2008. So we are plaining
for 300 RPS minimal per server. Ideally if each server could handle 600
RPS that would be good.
- We have 1600 remote locations connected via sat link, each with about
4 devices behind it.
- 125GB per month of HTTP traffic

We currently are planing on two servers being available behind an LVS
router. These two servers will speak with a squid instance at each
location so some form of peering can be used.

So I have the following questions:

1. Would there be any problem with squid running at each sat location
(1600) trying to use a peering method with squidpeer.domain.com IP that
is load balanced by an LVS router pointing to two squid servers ?

2. Does squid benefit from a dual core or quad core setup at all ?

3. How do these hardware requirements look, per server:
- 4 drives for squid cache, hardware raid stripped
- 4ms seek time, 73GB of space =~ 294GB of cache available
- Looking to use at least 150GB of cache per server
- 8GB of RAM
- Two dual core or two quad core 3.0Ghz processors.

Any feedback is appreciated

Thanks

--
Michael Gale