Re: [squid-users] RAID is good (was: Re: [squid-users] Hardware setup ?)

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 00:07:27 +0900

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008, Marcus Kool wrote:
> I wish that the wiki for RIAD is rewritten.
>
> Companies depend on internet access and a working Squid proxy
> and therefore the advocated "no problem if a single disk fails"
> is not from today's reality.

Mirroring? no worries. RAID5? reduced performance.

> One should also consider the difference between
> simple RAID and extremely advanced RAID disk systems
> (i.e. EMC and other arrays).

> The external disk arrays like EMC with internal RAID5 are simply faster
> than a JBOD of internal disks.

Doing some more updated testing is on my todo list in June/July timeframe,
but the last time I checked RAID5 was still slower than a JBOD for Squid.
Of course, Squid taxes disk setups in ways they really aren't designed for,
and it doesn't do it well.

Adrian