Re: [squid-users] RAID is good (was: Re: [squid-users] Hardware setup ?)

From: Kinkie <gkinkie@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 16:32:43 +0100

> On Tue, Mar 25, 2008, Marcus Kool wrote:
> > I wish that the wiki for RIAD is rewritten.
> >
> > Companies depend on internet access and a working Squid proxy
> > and therefore the advocated "no problem if a single disk fails"
> > is not from today's reality.
>
> Mirroring? no worries. RAID5? reduced performance.
>

> > One should also consider the difference between
> > simple RAID and extremely advanced RAID disk systems
> > (i.e. EMC and other arrays).
>
> > The external disk arrays like EMC with internal RAID5 are simply faster
> > than a JBOD of internal disks.
>
> Doing some more updated testing is on my todo list in June/July timeframe,
> but the last time I checked RAID5 was still slower than a JBOD for Squid.
> Of course, Squid taxes disk setups in ways they really aren't designed for,
> and it doesn't do it well.

OTOH, writing over a SAN is usually nearly-instantaneous thanks to the
enormous caches those things have.

I'd like to know of anyone using a SAN for squid caches tho, and I'd
like to know what kind cost estimates they did on their setup - to me
it smells like a big money sink for no return.

--
 /kinkie