[squid-users] HTTPS upstream cache problem

From: Daniel Becker <db@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 14:50:08 +0100

Hi,

i have a strange problem with my squid configuration. We use an internal
squid server to authenticate user requests which then sends all requests
not in his local cache to its upstream squid which then retrieves the
content from the internet. This solution works almost perfect, but in
some combinations it does not work as expected. Sometimes, when you
click on a link on a http page, pointing to a https page, you only get
an error generated by the second proxy, telling you, it cant connect to
http:443.

For example, when i go to the ATI driver download page, the link is:
https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/drivers/6-11-pre-r300_xp-2k_dd_ccc_wdm_38185.exe

in the access.log of the first proxy is appears correct:
TCP_MISS/000 1557 CONNECT a248.e.akamai.net:443 -
FIRST_UP_PARENT/192.168.100.11

but in the log of the upstream proxy it looks like:
TCP_MISS/404 0 CONNECT http:443 - DIRECT/-

I have absolutely no idea, why and under which specific conditions this
error occurs.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Regards,
Daniel Becker