[squid-users] Squid with Proxifier to use Skype on my phone!!!

From: William Sardar <williamsardar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 09:32:56 +0100

This is a complicated question; I hope somebody can help!

I want to use skype on my mobile phone through my wifi network (my
phone has wifi), using an application called fring.

However at university I have to connect to the internet through a
proxy server. I have the option of using an http or socks proxy and I
have been using Proxifier on my mac to tunnel my mac-based skype
traffic through the socks proxy, which works. On my phone there is the
option to configure a proxy server in the operating system but not in
Fring. In fact there is no mention of proxy support with fring. But
the fact of the matter is no matter whether I put in port 8080 (http)
or 1080 (socks) into my phone's configuration, fring won't connect to
its network.

I can wait till fring supports proxy servers or I can try and route
the traffic through my mac then through proxifier like I always have.
I can get squid working but have no idea how I can get proxifier to
'proxify' it as when I choose the squid executable in proxifier, like
I normally do with other apps, proxifier doesn't pick it up.

I realise this is really a proxifier question and I've sent the same
question to their technical support, but I was wondering whether there
is support for socks-proxy tunnelling in squid? I couldn't find
anything myself. Or does somebody know a better solution? I wish I
could get a tunnelling app on my phone but I can't (symbian s60 3rd
rev).

William