Re: [squid-users] Slow internet

From: François Cami <fcami@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 19:09:12 +0200

On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 13:04:35 -0400
Jeremy Kim <jkim@biblical.edu> wrote:

> Using the squid proxy is really slow. Is there anyway to make it faster?
>
> I have squid version Squid2.6STABLE18 on a XP.

Please use a server OS, either 2003 Server if you really have to run on
Windows, or something like RHEL (www.redhat.com/rhel) or CentOS
(www.centos.org) or Debian (www.debian.org). Both RHEL and CentOS squid
versions work well in my experience.
Now, if you still see delays / lags when using a real OS :
Long delays usually point with intermittent DNS problems, cache rebuild
issues, or a misconfigured firewall.
I've also had more success using diskd than aufs, but YMMV.
You might want to use wireshark (www.wireshark.org) or at least tcpdump
on the squid box to see what it's doing when you experience delays.

Cheers

François