Re: [squid-users] Help with Calamaris report syntax?

From: Chris Robertson <crobertson@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 17:00:37 -0800

Ed Flecko wrote:
> Hi folks,
> I'm running OpenBSD 4.2 with Squid and Calamaris.
>
> I'd like to create a simple report with Calamaris that would show how
> much bandwidth is being saved at our company as a result of
> implementing Squid, but I'm having trouble trying to figure the
> correct syntax.

scalar (scalar.risk.az/scalar095/) is a pretty good fit for this.

> After I installed Calamaris, I thought I'd try creating what I thought
> would be a simple report just to see what a Calamaris report would
> look like, but I apparently didn't use the correct syntax. Here's what
> I tried running from the /var/www/htdocs directory:
>
> cat /var/squid/logs/access.log calamaris -P 60 calamaris.html. I ended
> this comand after about 15 minutes when it seemed the report was just
> going and going and going...

How many days does your access.log cover? How many requests per second
do you get? Given the fact that the latest stable release (2.59) does
all the calculations required to display all the reports irrespective of
which reports you have chosen to display, it might take a while. To
output HTML you need the -F html switch and you'll need to redirect it
to a readable location. Something like...

cat /var/squid/logs/access.log calamaris -P 60 -F html -b 10000 >
/var/www/htdocs/calamaris.html

...will give you the 60 minute performance data as html in your ht docs
directory and print out a hash mark (#) for every 10,000 lines of the
log processed.

> Since Apache is already installed and configured, I'd like to save the
> report as something like: calamaris.html in the /htdocs directory.
>
> Can someone help me with what I'm doing wrong?
>
> Thank you,
> Ed

Chris