[squid-users] Squid 2.6 + Debian Etch + tproxy + bridge + transparent proxy

From: Jason Healy <jhealy@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 22:42:51 -0400

Hey all,

I've been a happy user of Squid for the past 10 years or so, and I'd
like to take a second to thank everyone who has worked so hard to make
such a great piece of software! I'd like to give back to the Squid
community, but unfortunately I'm not much of a C hacker. However, I'm
hoping I can still help.

I've just spent a few days getting my school's Squid install up to
date (we were running 2.5 on Debian Woody). I switched to using
tproxy this time around (we used to do policy routing on our core, but
it was spiking the CPU too much). Thanks to the mailing list, some
articles on the web, and a little messing around I was able to get the
whole system up and running. I've documented the steps here:

   http://web.suffieldacademy.org/ils/netadmin/docs/software/squid/

The document is written for someone with a decent grasp of Linux, and
is specifically geared to Debian Etch. There are some tweaks that are
specific to our install (compile-time flags, mostly), but otherwise
it's pretty generic. Hopefully, this will help someone else out who's
trying to build a similar system, so I'm posting so it will hit the
archives.

Feel free to adapt, add to the wiki, or mirror if you find it useful.
Also, any corrections are welcome. ;-)

Thanks again for all your efforts!

Jason

--