Re: [squid-users] squid-2 fork -> cacheboy (again)

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 11:42:15 -0600

On Wed, 2008-04-16 at 11:22 +0800, Adrian Chadd wrote:

> Well, I'm at that point again, where I'd like to do some large-scale work to
> the Squid-2 tree to fix a whole range of longstanding performance and codebase
> issues to help the codebase move forward. Unfortunately this clashes with the
> general Squid project direction of developing Squid-3.

> So I've decided to fork the Squid-2 project again into another "cacheboy"
> derivative seperate from the Squid project. I'm going to pursue a different
> set of short-term and medium-term goals whilst focusing on maintaining the
> relative maturity of the Squid-2 codebase.

> I wish everyone working on Squid-3 the best of luck for the future.

I also would like to wish Adrian good luck with his fork.

For the record, we did ask Adrian to consider continue working within
the Squid project, without placing any restrictions on his activities
(so all the work Adrian mentions above would be accepted), but obviously
Adrian thinks he must fork.

Personally, I do not see enough technical reasons for this fork, but all
my attempts to clarify the motivation behind it or prevent it have
failed.

Alex.