Re: [squid-users] question about delay_pool

From: Chris Robertson <crobertson@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 02 May 2008 13:40:28 -0800

Christian Purnomo wrote:
> HI Gurus
>
> I have a requirement where my user wants to have options to browse using
> different speed to the internet. At present I have 2 instances of squid
> to use different delay_pool parameters, one has 256kbits/s and the other
> has 64kbits/s.
>
> My question, is there any way I can run only an instance of squid but
> still have the 2 options? the users use different proxy.pac at the
> moment to choose their speed.
>
> Thanks

Three possibilities from the most simple to the most complex:

1) Have squid listen to two different ports. One port gives speedy
access, one gives slow
2) Use authentication and give out one login for speedy access, and one
for slow. If you are already using basic authentication, you could
modify the authenticator to strip off the difference before passing the
credentials to the back end.
3) Use an external helper (based on the session helper) that checks a
back end store for information on which speed the user has chosen. A
local web page could be used to modify the preferences after the initial
choice.

Chris