Re: [squid-users] Don't want to start a flamewar, but...

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 17:33:57 +1200

Keep in ind that the following is my own personal view of Squid future,
other developers may differ.

Ray Van Dolson wrote:
> I am using the 2.7.HEAD branch -- specifically for the Store URL
> rewrite options added by Adrian. This makes 3.0 currently not an
> option for me.
>
> I'm curious what the long-term plans are for the 2.x branch and the 3.x
> branch.

Each of us developers differ in our own plans. But the consensus amongst
the remaining developers, now that Adrian has moved to cacheboy, to me
seems that we would like 3.x to supersede 2.x *eventually*.

This means:
  - we are working towards porting those features of 2.x which people
tell us they need. The list is now short, with only the hard ones left.

  - we are working on performance, but without a guru dedicated to it
(Adrian!) things are slower than desirable in that front.

  - we are greatly encouraging third-party providers using or depending
on squid, to port their code up to support the latest 3.x.

2.x is being kept supported only for those who the reasons above prevent
them moving to 3.x.

The 'big jump' people mention in 3.x is because we are trying to do all
that _on top_ of what might be described as he regular software feature
additions. I think we are succeeding in a small way.

> Will the store URL stuff be ported to 3.x eventually?

Yes. Al that you need from 2.x will at some point get merged into 3.x

'When' is another matter with a lot of variables. The largest of which
is when you let us know its needed.

> Adrian,
> you have begun work on a Cacheboy project which I understand is a fork
> of 2.7.HEAD. Will you keep work you do on one in sync with the other?

I'm personally keeping an eye on Adrians cacheboy work with a view of
ensuring that 3.x does not fall behind again, like 3.0 fell behind 2.6.

We are allways encouraging him to merge things to 3.x as well. But he
makes up his own mind in the end.

> Will you no longer work on 2.7.HEAD in favor of Cacheboy?

Henrik will confirm or deny, but I believe he intends to support 2.x
until some date unspecified in the future when there is a clear
migration path upward for the remaining 2.x users.

Cacheboy is Adrians personal fork. The rest of us remain with squid (3.x
in particular).

> As an end user, just a little confused about the long-term direction of
> all these various versions. :)

When 3.x (or 4.x if things go that far out of hand) meets your needs,
move over. There is no pressure from the devel team. But don't expect a
lot of great new features in 2.x.

Amos