Re: [squid-users] dynamic content wont cache in reverse-proxy

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 09:29:11 +0200

On fre, 2008-05-16 at 09:18 -0700, g wrote:
> I have squid 2.6.20 running on centos, reverse-proxying for dynamic
> content...but items are not getting cached. I've run a similar
> http-accel setup with 2.5 at least a year back and didnt have this
> problem...has something changed since then?

Many things have changed, but nothing which makes Squid cache less..

> I've checked the headers from the origin servers, and all the reply
> text/xml is pretty standard and cacheable. Only tweaked header is the
> expire time, which is set by the origin to be 5 minutes.

If you post the headers or a test URL we can check for you.

> Can anyone tell me why nothing seems to be getting cached? Is there
> an inherent rejection of dynamic content now? I hope not, some of us
> rely on caching systems to smooth out the spikes in demand on our web
> services :)

HTTP does not have a concept of "dynamic content". Only "explicit expiry
time" or "heuristically determined freshnes", and "private/public
content". All set by HTTP headers Cache-Control and/or Expires.