Re: [squid-users] What's missing from 2.6 for full HTTP/1.1 support?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 09:34:20 +0200

On fre, 2008-05-16 at 12:53 -0400, Chris Woodfield wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've had a few folks ask me what exactly is missing from squid
> (2.6STABLE18 in our case) that prevents it from advertising itself as
> an HTTP/1.1 client. We've run across the occasional origin server
> that, for whatever reason, is throwing away *all* 1.1-specific headers
> - including Host:, which causes the most breakage - and it's been
> suggested that we modify the source to hard-code the GET to say HTTP/
> 1.1, even though per spec I know this really shouldn't be done.

Squid-2.7 has experimental HTTP/1.1 support, at least to the level of
fully suitable for accelerator use. Not yet complete so it's not enabled
by default. Was developed for a customer needing to support IIS content
compression.

The main things missing from 2.7 is support for 1xx responses, and
handling of chunked encoding in the request path.

Goal is to get nearly full HTTP/1.1 support in 3.2.