Re: [squid-users] Squid 3.0 vs. 2.6 Releases

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 13:02:30 +1200

Matt wrote:
> What are the primary differences between these releases? If I am
> running Squid 2.6stable20 will it be relatively easy to upgrade too
> the latest stable 3 release? Never had much trouble going from one
> STABLE 2.6 to the next.
>
> Does Squid 3 handle .NET issues or IIS webservers any better then 2.6?
>
> Matt

Both are based on 2.5.
  - 3.0 adds features geared towards content adaptation.
  - 2.6 adds performance upgrades for high-traffic acceleration clients.

The upgrade itself should be easy. Last time we checked 3.0 was on par
with 2.6s6, so its a step down from s20. You probably want to wait for
3.1 or later. But it depends entirely on your performance and more
importantly feature needs.

As for .NET and IIS issues. Other than their chunk-encoding problem I'm
not aware of any affecting squid. In that case 2.6 is slightly better
than 3.0 and worse than 3.1.

Amos