Re: [squid-users] Squid 3.0 vs. 2.6 Releases

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 13:48:37 +1200 (NZST)

>>> What are the primary differences between these releases? If I am
>>> running Squid 2.6stable20 will it be relatively easy to upgrade too
>>> the latest stable 3 release? Never had much trouble going from one
>>> STABLE 2.6 to the next.
>>>
>>> Does Squid 3 handle .NET issues or IIS webservers any better then 2.6?
>
>> Both are based on 2.5.
>> - 3.0 adds features geared towards content adaptation.
>> - 2.6 adds performance upgrades for high-traffic acceleration clients.
>>
>> The upgrade itself should be easy. Last time we checked 3.0 was on par
>> with
>> 2.6s6, so its a step down from s20. You probably want to wait for 3.1 or
>> later. But it depends entirely on your performance and more importantly
>> feature needs.
>>
>> As for .NET and IIS issues. Other than their chunk-encoding problem I'm
>> not
>> aware of any affecting squid. In that case 2.6 is slightly better than
>> 3.0
>> and worse than 3.1.
>
> I have problems with users connecting to websites on IIS servers not
> able to authenticate with user name and password. Some other user
> complains they cannot upload .NET. Will the chunked-encoding issue
> cause this?

No. Thats another two issues altogether.

The authentication one is probably a configuration issue. But may be an
auth bug.

The upload one may be related to squid blocking unknown HTTP request
methods, or the size of the objects being uploaded.

A good cache.log trace of the two operations should lead you to the problem.

Amos