[squid-users] Re: What is the best way to authenticate remote users with dynamic ip?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 15:22:57 +1200 (NZST)

> Hello, list.
> I want to setup public proxy, that will serve clients from anywhere, after
> registration.
> I will setup captive portal for authorization/registration and external
> authenticator,
> that will check user validity, and redirect unauthorizated to captive
> portal.
>
> I guess that simple basic/digest auth will be better choice, but I want to
> use captive portal,
> so its no option for me, alas.
>
> So I need some kind of session authentication.
> For now I'm stick to cookie authentication, but not sure if it possible.
> I can configure captive portal to set cookie and external helper to check
> for it,
> but I believe client will not send that cookie until squid ask him,
> and squid will not, are not he? What can I do it that case?
>
> Is there any better way, to approach my target?

Yes. Using the HTTP native authentication methods is much better than
cookies. It will also make your authenticated website pieces handle and
scale better across the Internet.

Lookup:
 auth_param - for the authentication config.
 deny_info - for the access denied portal redirection.

Squid has a session helper for handling the multiple request relations.
Though I have not needed to use it.

Amos