Re: [squid-users] Squid 3.0 vs. 2.6 Releases

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 15:14:53 +1200 (NZST)

>>> I have problems with users connecting to websites on IIS servers not
>>> able to authenticate with user name and password. Some other user
>>> complains they cannot upload .NET. Will the chunked-encoding issue
>>> cause this?
>>
>> No. Thats another two issues altogether.
>>
>> The authentication one is probably a configuration issue. But may be an
>> auth bug.
>>
>> The upload one may be related to squid blocking unknown HTTP request
>> methods, or the size of the objects being uploaded.
>>
>> A good cache.log trace of the two operations should lead you to the
>> problem.
>
> On the authentication issue I tried changing log level to 9 for a
> short time but it did not tell me much. Saw the POST when the
> username and password was submitted but not much else. Its a IIS/6
> server with ASP.NET version 2. Looks to be using javascript to log
> in.
>
> Any ideas what I can change on Squid to make it work? Its does this
> both in transparent and non-transparent modes. I was hoping maybe
> Squid v3 had some improvements that would make it work.

Interception 'transparent' mode ports do not even attempt to perform
authentication. Though with most javascript methods HTTP authentication is
not involved anyway.

Making sure the interception and direct-proxy listening ports are
different should fix it for most users. If the code itself is failing on a
side-band authentication there is nothing you can do to fix it in squid.
Only the sites webmaster can fix those.

Amos