Re: [squid-users] logging ident while avoiding an ident lookup for each request

From: Marc Haber <mh+squid-users_at_zugschlus.de>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 09:23:05 +0200

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 12:49:54PM +1200, Amos Jeffries wrote:
> Squid considers identd lookups to be an authentication type. Which gets
> cached for a short period against the client IP to prevent such loading
> of the network.

Judging after a tshark dump of network traffic, that "short period" is
like one second, and it doesn't hold for a multi-user system as the
next user will be "authenticated" with a wrong ID. There is no way for
squid to know whether a new http request comes from the same users
without issueing a new ident request or without the http client's
cooperation.

Please explain how this caching is supposed to work without totally
wrecking the statistics.

Greetings
Marc

Nordisch by Nature |  How to make an American Quilt | Fax: *49 3221 2323190