[squid-users] Monitoring the cache_peer directive

From: Troy <t33r0y_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 10:41:37 -0400

Hello,

A few days ago we had our squid proxy fail over to a backup
cache_peer. We are not sure what caused it to fail but it did not
fall back to the primary cache_peer. I thought I had read about a bug
that had been reported about this but not sure what it was or the bug
number. I would like to know if there is a way to monitor the
cache_peer directive and what cache_peer the proxy is using.

Below is part of my squid.conf and squid version info. The proxies
labeled <SPECIAL_PROXY_IP> are just proxies to get to other internal
resources that are internal to us. These are needed because the
remote entities are behind firewall. We use ACL's to deny request to
these proxies except in cases where the destination domain is defined
to use these proxies.

Squid Cache: Version 2.6.STABLE13

cache_peer <PRIMARY_PEER_IP> parent 8080 0 no-query default weight=500
cache_peer <BACKUP_PEER_IP> parent 3128 0 no-query weight=3
cache_peer <SPECIAL_PROXY_IP> parent 3128 0 no-query weight=5
cache_peer <SPECIAL_PROXY_IP> parent 3128 0 no-query weight=2
cache_peer <SPECIAL_PROXY_IP> parent 3128 0 no-query weight=1

Please let me know if you need more info or have any suggestions.

Thank you,
Troy