Re: [squid-users] cache only certain files?

From: Anton Melser <melser.anton_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 17:28:06 +0200

> I wonder why don't you want to cache the rest. squid is here to cache, why
> not to do it? If there are problems with caching any data that should not
> be cached, it's caused by broken headers and can be fixed either on server,
> or on squid's side.

It's actually caused by a broken application! We are caching because
each page call causes something like 150-200 calls to the database. So
we cache the most visited pages, and leave the rest to be very slow.
The problem being that a number of modules won't function at all if
cached, so we either get rid of them everywhere, and seriously reduce
the functionality provided by the application, or just cache a few,
highly visited pages. So what I need is to be able to do is like you
can with mod_cache, i.e.,
CacheEnable disk /these/pages
CacheEnable disk /those/pages/there

And get extremely good performance for these pages, while at the same
time leaving the db and app servers more power to serve the pages we
aren't caching.

It seems to be working pretty well now, and it means one less app to
maintain (squid), but squid is certainly a much more tested and stable
solution, so if you have an easy fix to do what I want I'm all ears!
Cheers
Anton

--
echo '16i[q]sa[ln0=aln100%Pln100/snlbx]sbA0D4D465452snlbxq' | dc
This will help you for 99.9% of your problems ...