[squid-users] Re: Transparent proxy with DansGuardian using IDENT

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 15:25:53 +0200

On fre, 2008-05-30 at 05:56 -0700, mfiss_at_weiss-aug.com wrote:

> The whole ident setup (every client having an ident service running)
> is a little bit annoying, but I haven't found any other way to log
> usernames without forcing clients to enter a user/pass to access the
> internet. If there is another way please let me know.

Clients configured to use the proxy, and NTLM authentication for
identification. Works for computers who are members of the windows
domain.

Guests with computers outside of the domain has to enter a user/pass to
get access.

> How can I make sure nobody uses a third party browser to get on the
> internet?

Use the interception technique you already have played with, but instead
of intercepting in the proxy, send it to a web page explaining how to
configure the proxy settings in their browser.