Re: [squid-users] Squid and Wpad

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 01:27:42 +1200

Cornaggia wrote:
> Dear Squid,
>
> I have just a question reagarding some practical set up of the Squid-proxy.
> Knowing that the NTLM authentication and the transparent mode donīt
> work together, my question is: if with a wpad i set automatically the
> browsers to use a proxy squid to access a branch of my LAN (a
> subdomain we call N1) and to use for all the other requests our
> company proxy, tha NTLM authentication works with SQUID?

Yes.

> The question could be a bit strange but I have to solve a problem
> installing squid that makes authentication before entering in a domain
> (or a server integrated as domain) of my LAN, where some
> projects-documents reside.I will use other ACL on top of the NTLM-auth
> for the different users of my company: the overview is than Squid as a
> dedicated proxy for the access to this subdomain, use from the workers
> only if they try to get access to this part of the LAN, otherwise for
> all the other addresses requested, filter with the company proxy.For
> this reason i choose to setup the browsers let them find the right way
> for wich proxy trough wpad.
> Just i would like to know if than the sequence for the authentication
> NTLM in Squid will be pass.

Sounds like reverse-proxy would sit in there even better than a
transparent proxy.

With that type you basically have the users believing the proxy *is* the
subdomain web server. So they always go through the proxy, and are happy
to authenticate with it. Real server is hidden behind the proxy as a
peer for only it.

http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/ReverseProxy

Amos