Re: [squid-users] Allow web radio in an NTLM authorizing proxy

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 15:10:06 +1200 (NZST)

>>> acl AuthUser proxy_auth REQUIRED
>>> acl allowedurls dstdomain "/etc/squid/allowedurls"
>>> acl allowedip dst 151.1.245.1
>>> http_access allow allowedurls AuthUser
>>> http_access allow allowedip AuthUser
>>> http_access allow allowedpages AuthUser
>>>
>>> But I still get an error in my access.log (below)
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance!!!
>>> Luca.
>>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> That config REQUIRES auth for all requests. It looks like the media
>> player is not presenting the right credentials.
>
> Right. I've found out that if I put in the credentials popup the username
> without "@domain.local" it works!
>
> Still I cannot figure out why media player does not use the supplied
> credentials by the operating system.....
>
>> Did you remember to run "proxycfg -u" after the last browser config
>> change?
>
> Never used it, I tried right now in a computer without running it and
> after
> writing the right credentials now I can open the stream.
>
> Do you mean that if I run the tool first, then media player will never
> prompt for credentials? It's not a solution, since users in the domain
> does
> not have administrative rights to run the tool....

The deeper you look at the proxy settings the more confusing things get.
The clearest I can explain is that each MS produced component does things
in one of several ways, mostly different, and with hidden or non-obvious
configs.

The "proxycfg -u" command takes the IE Internet Options settings and
propagates them around Windows so all the components can use them. Without
it only the ones that do things via RPC to IE are affected. It only needs
running once after the IE settings are changed (either set or unset).

I'm not sure what the effect on credentials would be exactly. But it's
always my first port of call when troubleshooting bits that are supposed
to run using the IE settings.

Amos