Re: [squid-users] ESI questions

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 15:30:58 +1200 (NZST)

> Hi,
>
> I'm experimenting with ESI & Squid 3 configured as a reverse-proxy.
> I'd appreciate it if anyone could help with the questions below...
>
> * Is Squid + ESI being used in production?

It's a bit before my time but I believe the initial sponsors were using
it. At least until development on it stopped.

> Should I expect problems if
> I decide to deploy with ESI?

The current state is not suitable for full-scale production use. Most of
the open bugs against 3.0 are ESI related and I think you should expect to
hit them for now.

It appears to be usable in small very particular situations so testing is
well worth it. A month ago we had one volunteer look into some of the
bugs. But there has been no word recently. I hope he is still chipping
away.

> * Is there a way to use relative URLs inside an ESI include tag? For
> example, this fails:
>
> <esi:include src="/foo.html" />

esi:include has several known problems. Some major. I would not be
surprised if that is another not yet mentioned in bugzilla.

> * Are there ways to set cache policy apart from what is defined in the
> "Surrogate-Control" headers sent by the browser?

I may be completely wrong but I would expect Cache-Control to work
normally on individual objects. In addition to Surrogate-Control.

Amos