Re: [squid-users] Squid as Reverse Proxy - Backend Server Issues

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2008 18:30:31 +0200

On tor, 2008-06-05 at 23:53 +0800, howard chen wrote:

> 1. I found that if a file only has LM being sent out, the browser
> seems to cache the file forever and won't request the server until you
> press F5, is it true?

Browser caches is quite often very agressive and only checks for
modification once per browsing session.

> 2. Squid will not cache for a file if expire has not been set, is it true?

False. If there is no freshness assigned to the object Squid uses
refresh_pattern to calculate one basedon Last-Modified.

> 3. The prioiry of client sending cache-control, max-age=0 is higher
> than IMS and must force contacting the backend to refresh (i.e. not
> 304 but 200).

max-age=0 instructs caches to query the next hop to verify freshness
using a conditional query (i.e. If-Modified-Since). Which means thata
GET with max-age=0 will be transformed into an If-Modified-Since query
by Squid if the object is cached.

no-cache says that the cache should not be used.