Re: [squid-users] Squid as Reverse Proxy - Backend Server Issues

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2008 22:00:51 +0200

fre 2008-06-06 klockan 01:14 +0800 skrev howard chen:
> I use FF 2.0 and LiveHTTP header to view the req/response, and after I
> got the file for the first time, my FF will not issue the second time,
> even if I close my browser.

It probably depends a bit on how old Last-Modified is..

> If I press F5, then 200 is received.

You should get a 304 on F5. Control+F5 should give 200.

Do the server support If-Modified-Since and If-None-Match?

> Since the default Squid conf do not have refresh_pattern being set, so
> squid will NOT
> cache file if only contains LM but missing Expire or Max-Age?

There is a default refresh_pattern in the code, equal to
refresh_pattern . 0 20% 4320

> So far, my main problem, my squid never use IMS to call my apache, if
> I request a file with max-age=0, the squid will always get from my
> apache, which in turn my apache return 200 to squid [not 304], and
> squid also return 200 to my client.
>
> I am not sure if squid provided IMS, but my client do send IMS to squid.

Squid never removes IMS if sent by the client, at least not unless you
have explicitly told Squid to do so by request_header_access..

Are you sure your server understands If-Modified-Since properly?

What do the request sent to Apache look like?

(use wireshark on the Apache server to get a good view..)