Re: [squid-users] Squid3 - reason to migrate

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 00:40:34 +1200

admin_at_abp.pl wrote:
> Dnia Wt Czerwca 10 2008, 04:19, Amos Jeffries napisał(a):
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Is there any reason to migrate to Squid3 (or head snapshot 3.1)?
>>> Did anybody do compare functions/performance between 2.6 and 3.x
>>> version?
>>>
>>> I have high load (~400req/s) server with COSS filesystems and tproxy on
>>> squid 2.6.18 (now tproxy doesn't work correctly, only transparent
>>> proxy).
>>>
>> Under 600req/sec there is no noticible difference in 2.6+/3.x. Tproxy 4
>> support may be a reason for you.
>
> What's mean "Under 600req/sec"?

Squid-3 has tested well according to some basic speed tests up to
650req/sec at 500/1000/1500 concurrent connections.

> 600req/sec on what hardware? Mayby I have slower server than You and there
> will be noticable difference?

I have a i386/ 2.1GHz single-CPU machine doing well. I think Adrians
test were done one a late 2.x GHz machine. Slow stuff by most standards.

Exact details of Adrians tests and hardware should be listed in the mail
archives under benchmarking.

> Tproxy 4.1 is important reason for me (mayby one and only).
>
>> But the COSS support in 3 is buggy with nobody actively testing it.
>> you are able to change FS or wanting to assist testing and debugging
>> before you migrate, that may be a blocker problem.
>
> It's strange that nobody testing it, it's very good fs.
>

> Another question.
> How stable is HEAD 3.1 with working Tproxy?

I've only had responses from 3 people outside those of us coding it up.
Two were very happy, one had issues that turned out to be kernel
back-port problems. There has been no confirmed bugs in the squid code
itself. Not bad.
I'm considering moving my production interception machine over to using
it in a few weeks.

> When will be released stable 3.1?

I was hoping for initial beta release early this month, but things have
slowed a little. The current 3-HEAD code is fairly stable, only 14 known
bugs. The next features to go in are large enough to cause some upset.
So now is a good time to grab alpha copies if you need them for any
non-testing use.

Amos