Re: [squid-users] what can I help to make this swap.state corruption go away?

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian_at_creative.net.au>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 23:03:08 +0800

(Oh, there's more.)

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008, Michel (M) wrote:

> am I getting this right? have to pay or nothing will be done is what you
> try to say here?

No, its just that we work on what we're interested in, and that doesn't
always involve what specific users want.

> whatever ... I think that my problem, my explanations and willingness to
> have a possible solutions being tested are perfectly contributions as the
> problem report itself already is and as anything else as even
> participating here and using squid IS a contribution. So I would say this
> lecture was kind out of line here ...

I had this same issue over in the FreeBSD stable group a couple weeks ago.
Open source projects don't grow with JUST users using; they grow with resources
improving the project. Users using is great if there's a good mix of users
using/reporting bugs/constructively commenting AND developers who find that
sort of stuff interesting.

Now, just as an example, I've been working on stuff over in the Cacheboy
branch which I don't find terribly interesting but is what I think needs
to happen to make it easier for me (and others, I hope!) to work on what
tickles -their- fancy, just as much as I'd like to improve things for
users. The group working on Squid-3 do something similar.

> on the other hand there is no reason to get sensitive here because when
> you do a public project then it IS public and necessarily you have to hear
> what is wrong also and not only swallowing the credits, if you can not
> stand it then you need to hear what developers usually say to the users
> when things get hot: echo "you are free to use another project" | sed -e
> 's/use/develope for/'

I'm not getting sensitive over it :) And not once did I say that you should
go elsewhere. What I'm saying is that we know there's a lot thats wrong with
the codebase, and whats stopping it being fixed is time and effort.
We're not supermen; we can't work on everything all at once. :)

The reason I created Xenion and am pushing for support contracts and such
is to try and build up the resources that _I_ think we need to work on
both commercial and open source interests. I think this is something that
we as a project are lacking and I believe part of resurrecting interest
in the project involves bringing it up to par to be seen as "relevant"
again. Unless some company out there wants to hire half a dozen of us
squid developers to work on Squid (mostly) for open sourced work as a full
time job, progress - including fixing your bug - will simply happen
"when it happens".

I've told you privately - I'm happy to take a poke at it after my exams
are done. I can't imagine its a difficult bug to fix, but I've got exams,
(heavily overdue, thanks to university!) paid contract work and more code
restructuring to work on, all of which take priority at the moment..

Adrian