Re: [squid-users] High CPU usage and degraded service time after 2 weeks of activity

From: Guillaume Smet <guillaume.smet_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 09:22:45 +0200

Tony,

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 7:31 PM, Anthony Tonns <atonns_at_promotions.com> wrote:
> Did you ever find a resolution to this issue? I'm running a very similar
> config and running into very similar problems - only on more servers
> using more memory and the "RHEL" squid package on CentOS 5 x86_64. Same
> symptoms - no paging going on, only using 5.5G of the 8G of ram. It will
> run fine for a few days. But then squid will totally consume 1 of the 4
> cores in the system (two dual-core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 2212) but
> after restart only 10-20% of one core. The only significant difference
> other than sizing is that I have memory_replacement_policy set at lru
> instead of heap GDSF.

No. I let the broken Squid run for a few days, waiting for someone
helping us diagnosing the problem but as I didn't have any answer, we
restarted Squid as the service was really degraded.

It solved the problem and we haven't reproduced it for now.

FYI, we don't have a lot of regexp rules (a few refresh patterns and
around 20 user-agents acls). I tried to oprofile the production Squid
when we got the problem but didn't succeed in it. If someone has a
good oprofile tutorial, I'm more than interested as I didn't find
anything useful yet.

Be sure I'll keep the list informed if I have some news about the problem.

--
Guillaume