Re: [squid-users] Squid on steroids

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 12:39:32 +0200

On ons, 2008-06-18 at 01:44 +0000, ffredrixson_at_comcast.net wrote:

> I'm most interested in the squid back-end setup. Should we look at something linux based clustering? Or should we be looking at some internal squid process?

You don't need to cluster Squif, just a bunch of more or less
independent servers all behind a load balancer scheduling the load an
monitoring the servers disabling faulty ones. (i.e. what any load
balancer you can find does..). You already mentioned LVS and for LVS the
ldirectord load balancer manager does a good job. But you may want to
load balancer to be clustered in active/standby mode.

WCCP also does all of this quite fine, and is a good choice if the
proxies are doing transparent interception of port 80.