[squid-users] Squid as a web application firewall

From: howard chen <howachen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 22:56:55 +0800

Hi all,

I am not sure if anyone think about this before.

Consider a traditional setup for today web applications:

User <==> Squid(s) <==> Apache(s) <==> MySQL / Memcached / NFS

Currently I have mod_security installed on every Apache to prevent
attacks such as SQL Injection, XSS ect.

Sure, as a web application firewall, you would need more features then
mod_security currently provided, e.g.

1. rate-limiting, e.g. limit your user from accessing register.cgi for
not more than 1 time per minutes (against spam or application level
DOS)
2. Block user by IP, subnet
3. Block by request header, e.g. UA, cookie

Of course I am not going to ask to merge all this features into squid,
but I want to ask if it is feasible to develop all these feature as a
external program, and squid will pass the needed info to a program
similar to a redirector (or maybe just using redirector concept).

I am just not sure if it is suitable to perform all these actions at
squid layer.

Howard