[squid-users] SQUID behind SOCKS5

From: Chad Z. Hower aka Kudzu <chad-jm_at_hower.org>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 23:06:12 +0800

I have a connection that requires me to use SSH connections, or SOCKS5. Its
my only way out. Well in fact, I do have an HTTP proxy available as well,
but it's a cr_at_ppy proxy that a lot of my webservice applications and even
things like Windows update have trouble with.

For Firefox I set it to use Socks5, but IE is retarded and often ignores its
own SOCKS5 setting, as do many applications that use WinInet, and of course
many other apps completely don't support SOCKS5.

So what I want to do is run a SQUID (or other) HTTP proxy which I can then
easily use on my LAN. That proxy then will run on my server and use SOCKS5
(or SSH somehow) to get its internet connection.

Ive seen this:
http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=601824

But I've also read of users trying this with much frustration. It also
appears to be *nix specific, I need this to run on Windows.

Any suggestions?

--
Chad Z. Hower aka Kudzu
http://www.KudzuWorld.com/