Re: [squid-users] SQUID behind SOCKS5

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 00:14:48 +0200

On lör, 2008-06-21 at 23:06 +0800, Chad Z. Hower aka Kudzu wrote:

> So what I want to do is run a SQUID (or other) HTTP proxy which I can then
> easily use on my LAN. That proxy then will run on my server and use SOCKS5
> (or SSH somehow) to get its internet connection.

For SSH you need a server on the outside where you can SSH to. If you
have than then the easiest is to run Squid on that server, and use SSH
to set up a port forwarding from the LAN to that server.

Drawback is that it's only as reliable as your SSH session, and also
probably not the most efficient solution as all traffic gets encrypted
and tunneled out to the SSH server..

Squid currently do not support SOCKS5. Adding support for SOCKS5 is a
good project for anyone interested.

TCP SOCKS5 is not a very complex protocol to implement, in fact a very
simple protocol. For details see RFC1928 and RFC1929. The big question
is why noone has done this for Squid..