Re: [squid-users] Squid as a web application firewall

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 16:51:50 +1200

howard chen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Jun 22, 2008 at 1:23 AM, Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa
>> for 1: maybe iptables + l7filter ( http://l7-filter.sourceforge.net/ ).
>> for 2: iptables, yup, plain iptables.
>> for 3. not sure... but maybe iptables + l7filter too.
>>

> All the problem with iptables is it is NOT suitable to handle a lot of
> rules, it has been discussed in netfilter mailing list before...
>
> Currently I have a proxy written using C which store IP info in memory
> which is lighting fast and efficient. I just wonder should I merge
> this proxy into squid or not. (They are running at the same machine
> now)

If you can describe your requirements you may find they are already met
by various combinations of the existing squid ACL.

Take this up in squid-dev though if you are interested in merging the
two proxies. So you can gleam the experience of all of us dvelopers, not
just the few who moonlight as public squid support.

Amos