Re: [squid-users] Squid as a web application firewall

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian_at_creative.net.au>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 14:05:48 +0800

On Sun, Jun 22, 2008, howard chen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Jun 22, 2008 at 1:23 AM, Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa
> > for 1: maybe iptables + l7filter ( http://l7-filter.sourceforge.net/ ).
> > for 2: iptables, yup, plain iptables.
> > for 3. not sure... but maybe iptables + l7filter too.
> >

> All the problem with iptables is it is NOT suitable to handle a lot of
> rules, it has been discussed in netfilter mailing list before...

Of course it is. you just have to know what you're doing.

Go look at the ip set stuff. You can define a rule which will match on the
presence of the match in a list or tree; I've got one site running > 10,000
entries in a single ip set used by half a dozen iptables rules and the
CPU required for processing up to 100mbit is utterly trivial.
(It used to be > 10,000 iptables rules.. this didn't work too well.)

> Currently I have a proxy written using C which store IP info in memory
> which is lighting fast and efficient. I just wonder should I merge
> this proxy into squid or not. (They are running at the same machine
> now)

Patches always accepted. Just go and check out the external_acl helper.

Squid does pretty efficient src/dst IP matching too btw.

Adrian