[squid-users] udp_incoming_address and udp_outgoing_address

From: John Doe <jdmls_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 08:25:38 -0700 (PDT)

Hi again,

Since my servers have 2 nics, I want to use the internal nic for the ICP traffic...
But I am a bit confused by the udp params.

From the doc:
# If udp_outgoing_address is set to 255.255.255.255 (the default)
# it will use the same socket as udp_incoming_address.

Outgoing using the same socket as incoming is fine with me, so I tried:
 udp_incoming_address 192.168.17.11
 udp_outgoing_address 255.255.255.255
But my siblings won't talk.

From the doc:
# NOTE, udp_incoming_address and udp_outgoing_address can not
# have the same value since they both use port 3130.

So I created eth aliases just for udp_outgoing_address, which works but is a bit overkill...
By curiosity, I tried to put the same IP for incoming and outgoing and it seems to work fine...

I understand incoming has to listen on a specific port but why would outgoing use this and only this same specific port...?
What am I getting wrong?

Thx,
JD