Re: [squid-users] Recommend for hardware configurations

From: Michel <Michel_at_lucenet.com.br>
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2008 12:44:13 -0300 (BRT)

> On tor, 2008-07-03 at 12:04 +0800, Roy M. wrote:
>
>> We are planning to replace this testing server with two or three
>> cheaper 1U servers (sort of redundancy!)
>>
>> Intel Dual Core or Quad Core CPU x1 (no SMP)
>
> Squid uses only one core, so rather Dual core than Quad...

I am not understanding why you keep suggesting single core as preferred cpu

even if squid's core is actually not multi-thread capable a faster cpu is better -
there are also other things running on a machine so a smp machine ever is a benefit
to overall performance

modern OS also should give squid's aufs threading benefits but I am not totally
sure about your design here but at least diskd when running several diskd processes
is getting benefits from multicore cpus - and a lot and if you do not believe it
set up squid/disk on a 8-core machine and compare with 1|2|4|8 or more diskds to
your single-core-cpu-thing and measure it, in fact you do not even measure it, you
can see it and smell it ...

and at the buttom line more power more performance so there is no way a single core
runs faster than a dual or quad core on a modern OS, not even get close to it

michel

Tecnologia Internet Matik http://info.matik.com.br
Sistemas Wireless para o Provedor Banda Larga
Hospedagem e Email personalizado - e claro, no Brasil.