Re: [squid-users] Recommend for hardware configurations

From: Marcus Kool <marcus.kool_at_urlfilterdb.com>
Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2008 16:09:50 -0300

Michel wrote:
>> On tor, 2008-07-03 at 12:04 +0800, Roy M. wrote:
>>
>>> We are planning to replace this testing server with two or three
>>> cheaper 1U servers (sort of redundancy!)
>>>
>>> Intel Dual Core or Quad Core CPU x1 (no SMP)
>> Squid uses only one core, so rather Dual core than Quad...
>>

> I am not understanding why you keep suggesting single core as preferred cpu
>
> even if squid's core is actually not multi-thread capable a faster cpu is better -
> there are also other things running on a machine so a smp machine ever is a benefit
> to overall performance
>
> modern OS also should give squid's aufs threading benefits but I am not totally
> sure about your design here but at least diskd when running several diskd processes
> is getting benefits from multicore cpus - and a lot and if you do not believe it
> set up squid/disk on a 8-core machine and compare with 1|2|4|8 or more diskds to
> your single-core-cpu-thing and measure it, in fact you do not even measure it, you
> can see it and smell it ...
>
> and at the buttom line more power more performance so there is no way a single core
> runs faster than a dual or quad core on a modern OS, not even get close to it

I agree. To give a little bit more specific advise:
Squid is mostly single-threaded and in large environments needs a lot of CPU power.
So I recommend to buy a system with at least 2 cores and maximize CPU cache
and memory speed (use 2 or 4 DIMMs) to get the most of the raw CPU power.

For example, go for a Dell R300 with Quad-core 2.66 GHz, 6 MB cache for a good price
(EUR 749 ex VAT base price). Dell is just an example, I am not affiliated.

-Marcus