Re: [squid-users] prefer_direct configuration

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2008 20:40:06 +0200

On tis, 2008-07-08 at 12:59 -0500, Dean Weimer wrote:
> I am trying to setup a new proxy server at a remote location which has
> both a T1 link to our main office and a DSL connection to the
> internet. The DSL connection has a much larger download than the T1
> so it's preferable to use it for web browsing, but I would like to be
> able to have the proxy server automatically route traffic through the
> T1 and use our proxy servers here as parents in the event that the DSL
> would fail and the T1 line is still up.

For this it's best if you use some link monitoring and reconfigure Squid
accordingly.

Trying to do it by "automatic failover" will not perform very well as
there is no link monitoring in Squid and the procedure repeats per each
request..

But by setting connect_timeout reasonably low you can make it almost
work without link monitoring..