[squid-users] Need help with a Reverse proxy situation

From: Patson Luk <patson_at_calgoo.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 03:39:46 +0900

Hi,

We are using SQUID 3.0 as a reverse proxy on our server and it boosts
the performance a lot!

However, we have problems when some of the requests are coming in as
XML files. On several forums there are mentions that SQUID is only
HTTP 1.0 compliant hence those XML files comes in as chunked
code-encoding in HTTP1.1 would fail with error code 501 (Not
Implemented)

This is quite a dilemma for us as our products include both the client
(a desktop calendaring apps) and the server (a calendar server). The
clients we released were using HTTP 1.1 (so we cant switch to 1.0,
otherwise existing users would have problems) and also the server
itself uses a framework that forces HTTP 1.1.

I have tried SQUID 2.6 but we still get TCP_DENIED/501 in the access.log

There are several ways I can think of that might fix the problem...but
I dun quite know how to implement them :( (SQUID and our server are on
the same machine)

1. Make SQUID to ignore all the PUT/POST request ...but as far as
SQUID is trying to forward them...it fails

or

2. Make SQUID to only catch/forward requests on certain domain name.
For example we have domain name a.com and b.com both runs on the SAME
IP, SAME machine...is it possible to configure SQUID such that it only
touches/forwards stuff that comes in as a.com but b.com just does not
get thru SQUID at all?

or

3. (least favorite) Put some stuff on top of SQUID (that can forward
to different PORT based on request type/domain name), etc. if its a
GET request, forward to PORT 83 (with caching) and PORT 80 for other
request types. A servlet can probably do it...but I really dun want to
:(

Many thanks for the help in advance~!! I am still a newbie for cache
and proxy stuff

Cheers!!

Patson