Re: [squid-users] Need help with a Reverse proxy situation

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 20:18:33 +0200

On tis, 2008-07-15 at 03:39 +0900, Patson Luk wrote:

> However, we have problems when some of the requests are coming in as
> XML files. On several forums there are mentions that SQUID is only
> HTTP 1.0 compliant hence those XML files comes in as chunked
> code-encoding in HTTP1.1 would fail with error code 501 (Not
> Implemented)

Interesting. Haven't heard of many applications using chunked encoding
in requests before.

It should fail with 411 Length Required. Are you sure you see 501?

> 2. Make SQUID to only catch/forward requests on certain domain name.
> For example we have domain name a.com and b.com both runs on the SAME
> IP, SAME machine...is it possible to configure SQUID such that it only
> touches/forwards stuff that comes in as a.com but b.com just does not
> get thru SQUID at all?

No, you need unique IPs or ports..

> 3. (least favorite) Put some stuff on top of SQUID (that can forward
> to different PORT based on request type/domain name), etc. if its a
> GET request, forward to PORT 83 (with caching) and PORT 80 for other
> request types. A servlet can probably do it...but I really dun want to
> :(

Or 4 (my favorite):

Hire someone to work on finishing HTTP/1.1 support in squid including
the ability to forward requests using chunked encoding and 1xx