Re: [squid-users] H/W requirement for Squid to run in bigger scene like ISP

From: Chris Woodfield <rekoil_at_semihuman.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 12:32:05 -0400

While more/faster is always better, that's not what I'm arguing - I'll
take the fastest CPU budget allows and as many cores as they'll let me
buy :) In particular, more CPU *does* help when you have dozens of
helper apps such as authenticators or url rewriters.

I think the point of the argument is that when spec'ing hardware to
run squid as the primary application, if you're faced with the need to
tradeoff on cpu, memory, or disk i/o capabilities, you'll get *far*
more Bang For The Buck by adding RAM and disk spindles - 2x500GB is
better than 1x1TB - than you would by putting more CPU cores in your
server instead.

-C