Re: [squid-users] something better than using IP address?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 19:21:12 +0200

On fre, 2008-07-11 at 17:49 -0500, Jian Wang wrote:

> Recently, we used Squid redirectors to solve an application problem.
> Our redirectors are checking incoming requests against a database
> table to see if this IP has already accessed Squid--redirect only if
> ip is not in database.

Ok.

> We now have the concern that it may cause problem when applying our
> application to a NATed or PATed network.

Yes, ofcourse you will. IP is not an unique user identifier whenever
there is multiple users sharing the same public IP.

> In our application, we don't want to use any user name + password for
> access authentication, our situation is that everyone is authorized.

Ok.

> In the Squid redirector input string, we can only get IP address(plus
> FQDN at most, which doesn't help at all). Is there a way for Squid to
> solve this problem?

If it's a reverse proxy you could use a cookie.. Use an external_acl to
look for the cookie, and use deny_info to redirect the request to a page
setting the cookie if not set.