Re: [squid-users] Extremely high 'Median response time' warnings

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 19:49:50 +0200

On lör, 2008-07-12 at 23:57 -0400, Tim Boyer wrote:

> At night - times when the load should be down around zero - I'm seeing the
> following response time messages:
>
> Jul 12 16:46:43 saratoga.denmantire.com squid[9326]: WARNING: Median
> response time is 57448 milliseconds

Could be as simple as a some automated clients running a slow stream of
very slow requests (or large downloads).

Daytime it goes unnoticed as there is sufficient number of interactive
requests to make sense of the statistics, but at night when there is no
interactive users these becomes very visible..

> Where is this statistic coming from? I know I could disable it, but I'm
> curious about why squid thinks my performance is this bad.

Check your access.log at the time. I think the explanation is to be
found there as explained above..

This message exists to alert that there MAY be a problem. But under very
light load statistics very easily gets scewed badly...